Search This Blog

Monday, September 04, 2006

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the first day of the fall semester at my campus. Traffic will be horrifying. And my assistant director suggested in no uncertain terms that it was my turn to bring in "happy treats." She's right, it is my turn. And she's also right that treats make the office crowd happy. I think I'll get bagels. It seems healthier than most of the alternatives.

I'm just off the phone with one of the bath people. If I never hear another word about bathing, it will be too soon. Math either. The good news is that I have a new knife that clips to my bag. It's long and tough looking. The bad news is that assault is still illegal. Assault thoughts aren't. Being a twelve month administrator has its drawbacks at a nine month place. One of them is that you can't take the summer off from math.

On the plus side, Alejandro Valverde is winning the Vuelta. Move on the next paragraph.



Hi! Glad you made it past that last bit...

I wish fall were more, well, autumnal in Southern California. It was over 100 today and hot and dry. When I was in college, fall in Washington always pleased me. It actually got crisp. Of course it also usually rained. But youth is best seen through the gauze of "aww." I was just talking on Friday night about the wettest I've ever been after getting caught in a rain storm in D.C. in the fall. My car was so wet that for weeks, my shirt and pants would get wet from sitting in the seat. And woe unto the passenger, for he or she would be extra wet. And that was all from three people getting caught in the rain and then getting into the car.

New beginnings are nice, even if they seem inserted into my otherwise rolling existence. I decided to go to a lunch for new faculty. I'm not really new, but I am. Tomorrow is a Tuesday, but it's also a beginning. And being a beginner means the promise of things to come. It also means you can screw up sometimes and attribute it to your beginner status. So, I think I'll look forward.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whether it's bagels in the office or lunch for new faculty, free food is the hallmark of a happy academic existence.

WenWhit said...

Bagels are always a hit in my office... especially with me! Keep that forward-looking attitude, girl. And indulge the Awww-colored glasses whenever you feel like it. :)

Suzanne said...

Looking forward is usually much more productive than looking back... especially when walking down stairs.

Hope your day went well!