Search This Blog

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Being the Boss deux

Today I came in to work feeling ok. I had my jamba juice and had managed to bring my lunch to work, which always helps me avoid the "what crappity crap am I going to eat today?" question. As I came in, I noticed some weird energy in the office. Whatever, I thought. We have staff meetings on Thursday morning, so I did my usual scan of e-mail and brain for what I need to tell people about. Staff meeting can be a little contentious, but this one was fairly calm. Nevertheless, there were a few pop-up issues that bothered me. We had lost a bunch of stuff we needed because the college's server crashed and we hadn't done a back-up in three weeks. Then someone asked if the front office staff could be notified when the paperwork bin is full. Now, if the paperwork bin is full, that means the paperwork isn't getting done. At least to my way of thinking.

So after staff meeting, I go into the Assistant Director's (AD) office and she and I started talking about the problems in the office. She's officially been in her job for six months and I've had my interim job for 18 or so, but I know I don't know what I'm doing. So we're both sort of casting around for what to do.

One major problem we have is that the major problem person on the office is a friend of hers. The friend hiring preceded my presence, and though AD's very good about trying to draw boundaries, I think the emphasis there should be on "trying."

We talk for a while and then I asked what turned out to be the critical question...

"What did Previous Director (PD) and Previous Assistant director (PAD) do that we're not doing?" I'm a big admirer of both PD and PAD. PAD still works in the office in a different capacity. So AD called PAD into the office and we talk about what to do.

I ask PAD the crucial question. Now, see, here's the elephant in the room: AD and and I both worry about micro-managing. PAD says, "don't worry about it. Micro-manage if you need to." Now, I'm not stupid, but this idea struck me as genius. I can micro-manage. AD can micro-manage. If people aren't going to do their jobs and we can't function well for the next two weeks because we have no data because we have no back-up files, then somebody's got to be watching the little stuff.

So AD, PAD and I set some priorities on paper and have a meeting with Office Manager (OM). I try to spin it, but OM sees right through me. She doesn't want to work hard and the new "accountability" plan that we've come up with requires hard work. And accountability. Still and all, if I can't motivate OM, I can make her accountable for her job. And accountability requires fewer inspirational tools. Which is good, because I tend to have very little sympathy for ennui, unless it's my own.

OM asked in the course of the meeting when the search for the permanent director would happen. Whatever.

AD tried to reassure me and suggested I bring in food occasionally.

Anybody got any inspirational sayings I can use? The best I can come up with is, "Sporks for all!"

(Footnote: Blogger's spellcheck suggested "necromancer" as the best alternative to "micromanage")

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm missing the brilliance of "Micro-manage is you need to" -- is there a word missing in there somewhere or is this the sort of insight I don't have because I'll never be an administrator (or at least I'll never be a good one!).

Unknown said...

And by the way, I think the proper answer to "When is the search for the permanent director going to happen?" is "What permanent director? You mean the one that's going to fire your lazy a**?"

sporksforall said...

Oh sure, pick on my typo. If, the word was supposed to be if. Yea right, her lazy ass is protected by her union and the state. Still and all, she will be sorry if some people who want my job get it. No more planning her friend's wedding on state time.

Teresa said...

I guess "don't sweat the small stuff" wouldn't work in this case? How about "a backup in time saves nine (days in a departmental vacuum)"? I know it's really 10 working days, but that doesn't rhyme, does it?

bryduck said...

Ack--do you really want to micromanage? I suppose if you're feeling bored, that's ok. I'm guessing, though, that most people in your shoes would take the downtime to do some political schmoozing and ensure their continued presence as the Director. (Whenever I'm feeling bored and new in a job, I usually ask my boss if there's anything more I can do. Impresses the boss to no end and helps make me more indispensable.)
On the subject of a lazy underling, what can you do to make her job less enjoyable? Are there tasks that no one wants to do that can logically be assigned to her? Are there tasks that she likes to do that you can take away from her? (You can always chalk those moves up to "trying to mix things up" so as to bring fresh perspectives to these tasks. Who knows; maybe she's just lazy because she's bored.) If she refuses, you can write her up for insubordination or whatever. Begin the process of documentation! Being the boss is fun!