Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2006

The 'lyms

My Honey and I call the Olympics (sorry the "Olympic Winter Games") the "lyms." We have one of those couple-y things with a secret language. It's not a creepy secret language like those piercing non-English ones I imagine certain twins raised by wolves have. Maybe it is, but at least I can say that it's a version of English.

Anyway, we've been watching the lyms for the past couple of days. As a sports fan, I look forward to them, but I get tense about Tivo (really Tifaux) capacity. I've stressed how vigilant we must be, but as a curling fan (really--it's cool to watch, I promise), I'm putting our hard drive at risk with overnight tapings of the USA feed. It's a risk I'm going to have to live with because I'm not getting up at 5am to watch curling. Hell, I can't even get up at 6:45 to work out. Which I should.

I've decided that luge is weak. I mean it's fast, but the best luger EVER is known as the flying sausage. You can't even tell how fast they're going. Honey and I were watching the downhill after the luge and they're going 20 miles an hour slower and look like they could die at any second. Plus there's the whole business of the lugers needing to be "relaxed" as the announcer kept saying.

I had a weak moment while watching the luge where I hoped out loud that the American would not medal. I get so irritated with the "homer" tone of NBC's broadcasts that sometimes I don't want Americans to win. Honey pointed out (rightly so) that she's an American and if she were ever an Olympian I could and should root for her. The dudeness of the snowboarders suggests, she said, that they may be Democrats. So they're probably ok. I conceded her point, by which time the American luger's 4th place position was assured in much the same way that when you start talking about whether somebody is dead or not they die right away after. I feel somewhat responsible in that vein for the deaths of Herve Villechaize and Fay Wray.

A few more random lym thoughts:

The skating guys with flames coming from their heads DID NOT suggest passion to me, no matter what Costas says. Neither did the people in tree outfits or the disembodied legs.

Short track speed skating makes me really nervous. And Apolo Anton Ohno needs an extra "l" in his name.

My honey is right that for a guy who "hates the media" the Bode Miller is more present on my tv than he should be.

I can't put a finger on why I like how much the Italians like their athletes and why I hate the pro-American NBC coverage. It may be related to Laura Bush. I'm not sure.

One non-Olympic thought:
If Dick Cheney shoot his FRIEND in the face, how can we trust him around bigger guns?

5 comments:

Teresa said...

I came home to curling on television. The woman's love of curling is no put-on.

bryduck said...

Curling rocks! Dick Cheney should simply turn the gun on himself! Bode Miller sucks!
Hey, I can understand not getting into luge as a spectator sport. I happen to love it; I think the coverage is screwing with your perspective vis a vis its speed, though. Check out the stations where the lugist zips by in a quarter of a second. Bad television, but great indicator of speed and danger. These guys/gals don't look like they could die because they're good. Downhillers look out of control because they're trained to be fools--c'mon, who would throw themselves down a mountain on skis they've never used before? Idiots, that's who! Spider Savitch, we hardly knew ye. (A very old school reference!)

sporksforall said...

Yeah, I feel bad about the luge comments after all those accidents in women's luge yesterday. The one with the American woman was particularly yucky. Glad she's ok.

bryduck said...

Oooh, we missed the "lady luge".
: (
Accidents? That's not good . . .

alice, uptown said...

Doesn't this episode make Dick the poster boy for the NRA? "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Yea, whatever. I'm sure his wounded friend would agree.