Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Today's hissy fit

What, gentle readers, is the role of the blog? It sits here and people read it, mostly my friends, I think.

I sometimes think of it as my daily hissy fit. Sometimes it's a good hissy, other times a whiny one. There may be some among you who think there is no such thing as a good hissy fit, but as the curling commentators said this morning (sorry, this will be the only Olympics reference) sometimes you throw a bad stone and good things happen.

I've got hissy on the brain because Simon Cowell used it on last night's American Idol. I like early Idol, lots of drama, less crying and painful belting. I missed the first season and Kelly Clarkson doesn't do much for me, but have been a sporadic viewer ever since. I liked Fantasia ok, thought Clay Aiken was deeply frightening in EXACTLY the same way the Olympic mascots are (sorry, last time, I promise). LaToya London's performance of "Don't Rain on My Parade" was a thing of magic. I don't like Idol for one reason: The American Public has no taste. The farther the competition goes, the more obvious that becomes. Plus which, Barry Manilow has the current number 1 album. My point is made.

This year's contestants include a set of twins named Terrell and Darell Brittenum. It is to them that the "hissy" comment was directed. And Simon (of whom I am no fan) was exactly right. They are hissy fits on legs. Last night one of them freaked and "quit" when he thought his brother had been cut. They're constantly asking if they can say something and then going on and on and on about how the competition is crushing their souls.

Now here's a thing, the current Idol stuff was taped in the fall. One of them is currently in jail and the other is facing extradition for stealing someone else's identity and buying a Dodge Magnum. Now I like the new Chrysler muscle badboy cars as much as the next girl, but why not go for the 300M?

It all makes Frenchie Davis (she of the huge boobs) pecadillo seem minor.

It's probably time, truth be told, to stop paying attention to reality tv "stars" but Project Runway is on tonight and I have high (silly) hopes that Santino may get kicked off. Why do I care? Well, he's pitched too many hissy fits.

Oh, and one note to TV fans, the "Scar" episode of Battlestar Galactica was unbelievably good. Get it from itunes. Katee Sackhoff--sexy, amazing, a brilliant actress. I say that and Mary McDonnell wasn't even in the episode much. Her bit at the end of last week's episode ("Sacrifice")over Billy's death and Sackhoff's speech at the end of "Scar"--why tv is good and human and heartbreaking and worth watching. No hissy fits. So say us all.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

The Brittenum twins will undoubtedly put their remarkable talents to good use in the clink. Hey, given the propensity for American Idol to feret out a couple of felonious contestants each season, maybe they should license a prison edition?

sporksforall said...

But what are we going to now until October when BSG returns? My new tv obsession is Weeds, which I have downloaded in its entirety from Itunes...