Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Walking around chickens

I just ordered some "sticky flags" from OfficeMax. I was reminded when I said I wanted sticky flags (OM understood what I meant, to her credit) of a postal clerk who asked me if I wanted "sticky flags" or "sticky loves" when I asked for some stamps. I've always liked that.

Other random language things I like:

1. "Walking around eggs"--my description of cage-free eggs when I couldn't think of the term cage free

2. Internal plurals such as passersby, attorneys general, mothers-in-law.

3. But if there's no noun, you have to do the second word plural... also rans.

4. The word vituperate

5. When my honey and I were playing a game where we guess celebrities and I said, "The guy that should have been in the boodle doodle doo movies but wasn't" and she said "Steve McQueen" which was the right answer. The boodle doodle doo movies are the Sergio Leone trilogy. I still don't know how she got it.

6. Also one time I wanted to eat at Red Robin and I said I wanted to eat at and then bobbed up and down some and she knew that I was talking about Red Robin (from the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin along).

7. That I always could get a laugh in class if I mentioned a culture group that lived near Lake Titicaca. And that I thought it was funny too.

8. The chorus of Schoolhouse Rock's Interjection song:

Interjections
Show excitement,
Or emotion.
They're generally set apart from a sentence
By an exclamation point,
Or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong.

Cool, don't you think?

9. I don't like that they never did a Schoolhouse Rock for prepositions (it was the one part of speech they left out) but then they did do one for the release of the CD in 1993. It's a terrible song called "Busy P's." Here's a wee sample:

Busy Prepositions.
Busy, busy, busy.
On the top is where you are.
On the top.

10. The word "wee" for small or as a happy go fast sound, but not as a stand-in for urine or urinating. I should have said "wee" when I rode my bike today. Some would contend that should be "whee" to which I say whatever.

A non language thing I don't like, but can't look away from...

Neve and Gliz lifesize. Avert your eyes! Walk around with the chickens!

6 comments:

Slangred said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGH! MY EYES ARE BLEEEEDING! No more mascots, please! I love the Interjections song. When I was younger, I thought the "Figure 8" song was soooo pretty. Here's a little of that one:

When you skate
It would be great
If you could make
A figure 8
That's a circle that turns round upon itself

It was all melodic and minor key.

I like the interior plurals, too.

Unknown said...

I want a follow-up to yesterday -- were they actually sick? Did they have plausible excuses or guilty looks? Did you tell them to walk with the chickens or swim with the fishes?

Unknown said...

sleep with the fishes, darn it, that's what I meant.

sporksforall said...

Swimming with the fishes is nicer though. Hard to say of the "sick" one were actually sick, but I didn't make noise about it. Instead I took the sensible road and suggested better procedures, which include calling me at home. At least it sets a higher standard. And I want to do this job permanently because?

bryduck said...

Because of all the enlightenment you bring to the functionaries of the world. Or your department, at least.

Teresa said...

Or, more appropriately, a hapless Italian being crushed between the unstoppable force of Neve and Gliz. And this you celebrate? I thought you liked Italians, having lived in Roma and all.