Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Jezebel and her friends

It's an odd thing really for someone who spends a lot of time working with people whose whole lives revolve around children to not spend much time around the actual children.

I like to have children like me. It doesn't always work out. Several of my coworkers have children. My last encounter with them was typical. I (somewhat foolishly) brought Biscuit with me to the staff Christmas party. It was a whole--well the party is starting and the kennel is closing and I might as well bring her--thing. There were three children in attendance that night. They were all somewhat afraid of Biscuit. The two little girls liked running past her. The little boy, who didn't like that he didn't like her, started jumping toward her. Biscuit didn't like it and I had to tell him not to do it. I felt bad about it. He's AD's son and a sweet boy. He can't help how scared he is and he doesn't know. But I found myself in that position of people who don't have children needing but not wanting to correct someone else's child. AD was, as she always is, sweet and supportive. Her daughter still will not say anything to me, despite multiple encounters. She just stares at me from under her heavy bangs.

I get along really well with my niece. She's a fantastically imaginative and somewhat restrained 5 year old. She likes to create elaborate fantasies for her dolls, mostly princesses and mostly involving marriage. My sister-in-law does a great job to try to undo all the gender problems of the princesses in five year old imaginations. V told her recently that all the princesses knew that it didn't matter what you looked like, but that they were still in love with the princes anyway. My nephew is almost two. He's a wonderfully ebullient soul. I don't know him as well as I know my niece, but I like his spirit a lot. Which is good because I'm responsible for his guidance in religious matters. I promised God and everybody. Once he can talk more, we'll start his education. I may not tell him what they want me to.

I spent today with Jezebel aka J-Boo, aka JMPR. That's not what I said I was going to do. I said I was going to spend the day with S and J. I did do that too, I guess. But mostly I spent the day with JMPR. According to her parents, she sets new standards for cuteness in every thing she does. It's hard to argue the point. She has this perfect face, these fantastic cheeks that change her whole face when she smiles and a fantastic widow's peak, which I enhanced at the end of the evening.

JMPR and I got off to a fine start when Honey and I brought her a dinosaur and some other toy. I had a JMPR stumble late this fall. I was invited to her baby blessing. I didn't know what to expect and went unprepared. I was supposed to bring a blessing and didn't. I then managed to get my feelings hurt which was so beside the point of the event that it's startling. S, being the sensitive soul she is, knew I was upset. We "talked" via e-mail and sorted things out. But I still felt I owed JM something. I brought her another gift for Christmas. I still felt like I was missing something.

Today she started to play peek-a-boo with me. Actually, I didn't have to do anything. She would smile at me, turn her head away and then flip it back around and smile. S had to sit there with her breast exposed because JM wanted to play the game while she pretended to nurse. Pretty impressive for six months old, I thought. She won me over, of course. If I didn't think she was fantastic before (which I did), I was positive of it now.

It doesn't change who I am, of course. I still act like a big freaky adult around kids. She'll see that soon enough. But today she wasn't worried about anything but her own delight in me. It made me feel wonderful.

So here it is:

May your days be full and interesting.
May your life be full of people who love you and say interesting things.
May they listen to the wonderful things you'll say.
May you have health and happiness.

May you follow you bliss.
May it not cost too much.

Trust yourself and trust those you love.
Have adventures.
Think big thoughts and act on them sometimes.
Own as many pets as you want.

Ask your mom to teach you about romance and why true love is worth looking for.
And about science fiction
Ask your dad to teach you about computers, The Simpsons, and how to be gentle.
May you love your mother and father and understand that they are as easy to be with as any people could be.
May you forgive them for that, because it will probably irritate you at some point.

Ride a bike early and far.
Always wear a helmet.

Enjoy folk music.

Find spiritual peace where you find it. It doesn't matter where.

Remember to love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe.

I'm sure there's more.
Here's the deal though, thanks for forgiving me.
Bless you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. She can't say it yet, but I'm sure JMPR will agree that that (I hate when I can't figure out how to write a sentence without repeating "that" twice in succession. Copy Editor partner, please help me out here.) was a blessing well worth waiting for. Thank you, from the bottom of her mama's heart.

Slangred said...

Well, I'm bawling. (Don't mind me, I suffer from emotional incontinence and we can't quite figure out how to get the Depends around my brain.) It's a lovely blessing.

Teresa said...

Sandra: While I can't always figure out how to avoid the double that, in this sentence you might have replaced the second "that" with "yours." That said, while double thats bother me in my own writing, I never mind encountering them in others' sentences.

Sporks: If you don't mind, I think I'll adapt Baby J's blessing for my own life. This is advice anyone can use.

bryduck said...

Nicely done, sporks. They're both lucky to have you around, as I am.