Search This Blog

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Faces

My honey and I were watching a West Wing repeat this morning on Bravo. Actually I was, Honey moves around me while I watch. It helps me feel a little centered for the day if I sit on the edge of the bed after I shower and watch WW. Bravo's morning sponsor is eHarmony. I am strangely drawn to and repulsed by the eHarmony ads. My inner Sandra likes the mini-romance stories. My inner non-Sandra hates the pablumy founder, the anti-queer stance of the company, and the use of bad pop music.

Bravo, like any other media outlet move seamlessly from a homophobic company's advertisements to ads for Queer Eye. Oh well.

So this morning's ad is my favorite. The couple talk over each other at first and then she stops to let him finish. The expression on her face shows such loathing and resentment, that her tension and unhappiness are palpable. They show a few more shots of them saying the right things and then hugging, but my read of her was so strong, that I asked Honey to watch. She agreed with me.

Our faces betray us, of course. Honey's lip trembles a little when she's excited (it's really cute). I flush red in the face when I'm angry or agitated. (It actually isn't just my face, my whole body goes sort of pink). I'm inclined toward playing cards, but can never really do so for money, since my body and face betray me.

Last night and today I have been very tense about a phone call I needed to make. I've made it, but now I'm waiting for the call back, which isn't any less nerve-wracking. I know that my mood is out there for all to see. I snapped at Assistant Director. Every encounter that doesn't end in my losing my temper seems like a small triumph.

Right now, I've shut my door so that no one can see my face. It's easier that way.

I asked Sandra to draw me a spork with a face for this blog. Friendly, I said, but with an edge. That's about what I can do today. Friendly with an edge.

8 comments:

Gravity Drop said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sporksforall said...

Thanks for your thoughts QD, but I think I'll keep things free of scatalogical references for now.

bryduck said...

It might interest (or appall) you to know that the eHarmony guy--even though he doesn't allow gay postings--doesn't seem to be as hardcore a homophobe as we might think. (Or do you know more than I do based solely on his Salon.com interview? [I tried to link to it, but something's not working . . .])
I'm sorry you're not so chipper today, Sporky. I've been feeling on edge for quite awhile now myself, but am hoping to get a break by the end of the month. (Not that every comment I make has to be about me, but why break tradition, right, people?) I hope your call goes well, and your day gets better!

sporksforall said...

Thanks bry. I read his Salon interview, and you're right that he's not nearly as yucky as his policy might suggest. I've calmed down some. Hope your day goes ok, too. The nice thing about February is that it's short.

Teresa said...

Hey, I was thinking maybe we could play cards tonight. For money.

Unknown said...

You have an inner Sandra? Who knew! Maybe I can be a lesbian after all.

Sandra, who has never gotten over the accusation that she couldn't be a lesbian and hugs like a straight girl.

sporksforall said...

scout--you don't like cards and you don't like competeing with me. plus which I turn all pink around you as a matter of course.

sandra--of course I have an inner Sandra. Why else would I tell you no all the time? You do hug like a straight girl, but that's ok. You are one. I think Sly's grateful for that.

Slangred said...

Why must you people go around all the time telling women who could be lesbians that they couldn't be?! Hmph!
I'm a librarian. starts with an L-, ends with an -ian. Maybe that's the closest I can get. As long as there are Sporks and Scouts in my life, that's good enough.

I do hope the day turned out okay for you, Sporks.

(And I hope that bryduck feels better soon. Being a not-lesbian is great because of him.)