Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The unexpected

A few things in the past few days I haven't expected:

I didn't expect to be able to ride 12 miles. I did on Sunday.

I didn't expect that if I did ride 12 miles to avoid deep pain. I felt great on Monday.

I didn't expect my spokes on my rear wheel to go "pling" and lose their spokey integrity on my follow-up "12 miles twice in three days" ride yesterday. Result: Three miles and some tears. Honey rode 19.

I didn't expect to make a good peach cobbler. I did.

I didn't expect that the guy at the local bike shop (LBS) where I had never been and to which I took my wheel today would be so nice. Me: "I push the limits of my bike." Him: "No you don't. You're out there having fun and exercising. The new wheel will be fine." $257 and a kind word. The latter made me feel a lot better about the former. I'll go back to this bike shop. The new wheel will be ready on Friday. The old one will go up on ebay. Anybody need a 32 spoke Open Pro rear wheel with an Ultegra hub? I'm having it re-trued.

I didn't expect the Angels to score 14 runs in one game this whole season. Yea Halos.

I didn't expect to get out of last place in batting average in my fantasy baseball league. Oh wait, I didn't.

I didn't expect that an off-hand comment by my Honey would result in a new presidential candidate. Bailey in '08!

I didn't expect Italy to beat Germany in the World Cup. I also didn't expect the World Cup to be an area of conversation at the "lesbians in academia" barbecue we attended last night. They did and it was.

I didn't expect Kenneth Lay to die. I wasn't really thinking about him or anything, but I was surprised this morning when I heard he had.

I didn't expect Biscuit to make it through the night with any aplomb. She was stressed when we got home. But she went to sleep and didn't bark or whine at all. To celebrate, I've contracted with the Dog Patrol (shameless plug if anyone needs dog walking in L.A.) to walk her on Thursdays. She totally deserves it. She also deserves "total football access" but doesn't get that because she can't handle it.

I didn't expect to so easily dissuade Wendy from calling me "Grits." : ) Was it the reference to the CIA?

Mostly, despite the tears yesterday, I didn't expect to feel so good today. Happy Wednesday everybody.

16 comments:

WenWhit said...

Most certainly not. Maybe during the Bailey administration, but not at the present time. I was just being respectful. Have you been so inundated with smartassedness that you cannot recognize this?

Teresa said...

I totally knew you could ride 12 miles, but I'm still proud of you for having done it.

The peach cobbler was awesomeness in a dish. You can cook; most of the time you simply prefer not to.

Nice guys at bike shops rock.

Who said my "Bailey in '08" comment was offhand?

I didn't expect my Ken Lay voodoo doll to work!

In celebration of Biscuit's bravery in the face of fireworks I think we should give her some squeaky-football time tonight.

You are constantly abusing your CIA connections.

Yay to you for feeling good. Squeaky footballs all around!

Unknown said...

Why were there tears yesterday?

So was there really an official "lesbians in academia" bbq or was that just the general lay of the land?

WenWhit said...

*sigh*
Trust that girl scout (hehe girl scout) to address more of the points in your post, leaving eb and me to look so self-centered.

12 miles? Wow. Infuckingcredible. And most impressive. Especially the part about not hurting like hell the next day.

They obviously don't make those expensive foreign racing bikes the way they used to. Uncinate spokes are just the worst. Hopefully the nice guy at the LBS provided a wheel more suited to a spork with a face.

Yea Halos!

You can share your fantasies with me anytime. Um, fantasy baseball woes and wins, that is. Yeah, that's what I meant. :)

Mayhaps scout was enacting her greater purpose with her supposed "off-hand" comment?

I would've been much more impressed if the lesbians in academia had discussed the Tour de France.

scout's "voodoo doll" comment takes the cake re: Ken Lay. :)

Play ball with Biscuit!

And enjoy the rest of your Wednesday.

Unknown said...

I'm such a dork:

* I read "some tears" in paragraph 4 as tears/rips -- figuring in my lack of sport knowledge that you ripped some part of your bike.

* I read "despite the tears" in the last paragraph as tears/crying.

And I'm really a dork because I still don't know which one you meant.

bryduck said...

Spokes are bullshit. Go for the big flangy-looking racing rims next time!

Suzanne said...

Wendy is calling you Grits. A little thing like the CIA doesn't influence my woman and her nicknaming activities.

Expect the unexpected. That's my mantra.

sporksforall said...

NOOOO. Suzanne, please intercede on my behalf. By the way, the CIA college friend lives in NoVA, so I could have her watched!

Suzanne said...

Ah yes, my Wendy is well worth watching. Your friend might enjoy it as much as I do!

WenWhit said...

*struts with a decidedly provocative ass-wiggle*

sporksforall said...

I know the CIA watched me and my then (illegally in the country) semi-girlfriend when he was applying for the CIA in the first place. Wendy is probably more interesting to watch than we were.

sporksforall said...

See how you two are? Go kiss each other or sumpin. :)

WenWhit said...

Oh I'm sorry, did that qualify as a PDA in your book?

sporksforall said...

Nope, just y'all being cute.

WenWhit said...

We heard and obeyed, Madame Secretary of Whatever Cabinet.

sporksforall said...

Yea! Lesbian kissing right here in my blog! (sort of) Anyway, yea!