Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2006

What's wrong with me? (Monday version)

Honey and I have a tendency to personify things that ought not to be personified. We speak in the voices of the inanimate.

Yesterday I bought a new cell phone on Amazon. When we got in the car to go to lunch, she asked (as if she were the cell phone charger cord), "Um, excuse me? What's going to happen to me when the new cell phone comes?" I felt bad. For a cord.

I told Honey that it was too easy to make me feel bad about these kinds of things. She allowed as how it wasn't as much fun because it was too easy. She then thought for a minute and said, "it's still fun, though."

This morning, when I put my coffee (which I later spilled--sigh) in the cup holder, I saw the phone charger...and felt guilty about replacing it.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hubband does a little act about our car and how it honked for our attention at the car lot. It gets me every time.

sporksforall said...

I've heard him do it and it makes me feel like your car is really sweet and a little needy.

Teresa said...

I'm sorry. I'm a terrible person. Really, your cell phone charger has about as much emotional content as a piece of toast. ("Ow, you're burning me!" said the brave little slice of whole wheat.)

sporksforall said...

See, now I'm feeling sorry for a MADE UP piece of toast. :(

WenWhit said...

I wonder what an "innocent piece of trash" says when forcibly kicked?

sporksforall said...

If Scout K. Honey were personifying it, I'd feel sorry for the trash, too.

WenWhit said...

SKH? Have I not already enough nicknames for that woman?

Suzanne said...

There is no such thing as too many nicknames.

I'm feeling sorry for the discarded phone charger too and am thinking perhaps you spilling your coffee is somehow related to your cord callousness.

sporksforall said...

On too many nicknames: Wendy rejected THREE nickname proposals today. So.

I could send the charger to you to go with the sporks. That might make it feel better.

bryduck said...

I know how you feel, sporks. Every time I visit I feel nostalgic pain for all the toys/stuffed animals I've left behind at my mom's house. At least the phone charger cord has electricity running through it occasionally--it could become sentient, right?!